The large Szeged
Szeged is one of the largest cities of Hungary as well as one of the most important and popular spots in the southern area of the country. This city is the Capital of the County of Csongrad as well as it is recognized as the main centre of South Eastern Hungary, being this way a very attractive spot which tourists should try not to miss when traveling to this area of the country during their vacation in Hungary.
It might be important to known that Szeged has different names, since it is also known as Segedin in Slovakian, as Szegedin in German, as Cezeouu in Serbian, as Seghedin in Romanian, and as Segedyn in Polish. This city, with a territory of 280.84 km2, is the fourth largest in Hungary, and has a population of approximately 162,900 inhabitants, with a density of about 580 inhabitants per km2.
According to experts on the subject, Szeged has been inhabited since ancient times, when it is believed that it was known as Partiscum. The actual name, Szeged, was not officially mentioned until endings of the 12th century, when the city was called that way by King Bela III when writing about the region in an official document. Despite of this, this city was first recognized and given the rights of such later, by Bela IV.
One of the most important moments in the life of Szeged took place during the Mongol invasion, when the city was almost completely destroyed and deserted by its inhabitants. Despite of this, the city became soon inhabited again and rebuilt, in such a way that towards the 14th century it already was again a very popular spot, probably the most important city of the entire southern region of Hungary.
Between beginnings of the 16th century and endings of the 17th century, Szeged was occupied and controlled by the Turkish army. Although it was freed from its invaders around the year 1686, the city did not regain its royal status until the year 1715. Not long after that, in 1721, Szeged also was honored by Charles III with its own coat of arms.