Szekszárd, capital of Tolna
The city of Szekszárd is the capital of the Tolna County, the second smallest county tourists could find during a vacation in Hungary. This city is located towards the south western area of Hungary, within the region of Southern Transdanubia, and has a population of approximately 34,700 inhabitants with a density of about 35 inhabitants per km2.
According to historians, the first official mention known about Szekszárd dates from beginnings of the 11th century, more specifically from the year 1015. Despite of this mention, there is not much known about the city during that époque, although it is also known that towards the year 1060 its Benedictine Monastery was built and founded by Bela I.
Towards endings of the 15th century, Szekszárd had become a popular and important city in that south western region of Hungary. It was one of the main commercial and economical spots in its region and this can be seen reflected through the fact that it had several major market days per year, events which would gather business men from many different parts of the country.
Despite of its importance and popularity in the 15th and 16th centuries, during the Turkish occupation this city was strongly affected and it became almost completely deserted. Also, during that period of time, one of the most iconic constructions of the city, the monastery, was destroyed. As it can be seen, this was one of the darkest moments in the history of Szekszárd.
Szekszárd was not officially recognized and named as a city with granted rights as such until the year 1994. The city acquired these rights as a consequence of a law which stated that all capitals of counties would be able to count on them, since before that law only towns with more than 50,000 inhabitants could acquire such rights.
There are many interesting spots and constructions to meet in Szekszárd. Among the most attractive spots they could find, there is, for example, the birth home and museum of Mihály Babits, the German Theater or Deutsche Buhne Ungarn, the neo-classical Old County Hall, and the ruins of the Benedictine Monastery.